Thursday, October 29, 2009

Amelia

I saw Amelia, with Hilary Swank and Richard Gere. I had very low expectations, so even a mediocre film would have satisfied me, and I was satisfied on that basis. It was Saturday afternoon, a rainy miserable day, and I needed something to get me out of the moment. I thought Amelia would be tolerable for a couple of reasons. FIrst of all, I figured it would be stunningly, beautifully, filmed, and I was right. Every room, every cigarette lighter, every Scotch and Soda shimmered in art deco delight. You could almost taste the cherry red enamel high gloss finish of one of the planes she flew. And all this is before anyone takes flight. The flight scenes only added to the visual enjoyment.

The second reason I thought it would be ok was that biography films are usually that, namely, "ok" and not much more. They're usually not terrible because there is an intrinsic interest all of us have in the course of someone's life. In this regard, I think bio pics of lesser well known figures are generally more interesting than those of iconic figures. After all, we kind of know most of the details of Lincoln's life. But aside from the fact that she was a famous aviatrix, who wore her hair in a mannish way, who was lost in the Pacific while attempting a circumnavigation of the globe, I knew next to nothing about Amelia Earhardt. Interestingly, the film tends to downplay, rather than exalt, her accomplishments. In fact, it appears that that there really wasn't much more to know beyond the facts related in the sentence that preceded the one you are reading now.

But, the aerial photography, and the beautiful facial close-ups keep one watching. For those of you who don't think Hilary Swank has a beautiful face, I was referring to Richard Gere, who certainly does. And her face is very interesting if it isn't classically endowed.

Without knowing anything about her, I kind of suspected that she was gay. I had no reason to think it, and I can't say I ever discussed it openly. But, her mannish style and aggressive spirit in an age when women were not encouraged to have those things might have made me ask the question, were I so inclined. The film shows her as being very heterosexual, with the exception of one rather interesting scene. She is sitting with her soon-to-be-lover and she looks at another woman sitting across the room, and remarks on how beautiful she is. Her companion says that she always notices women, or something to that effect. But, the topic is never explored further.

Naturally, I was waiting to here Joni Mitchell's song, "Amelia" which is very evocative, but the score was original, suggestive of the 1930's, and the insertion of a post-modern ballad of sorts, would not have fit.

4 comments:

  1. You probably don't remember me, Mr. Bennett, but I was in your AP U.S. History class '07-'08. I just thought I'd mention that yours are among the only movie reviews I take seriously. I've always been disappointed that your film class wasn't offered when I was in Tech.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your assumption that I do not remember you is quite ridiculous, Megan. I remember you very well, both from AP American, as you remind me, but also from freshman year, when we had far more laughs.

    I'm so pleased that you have taken the time to say hello, and to comment so kindly on my blog. I recall you were a frequent visitor to my "Xanga" also. I had such fun with that blog. At one point, I was getting a hundred visitors a day to that site. I was in danger of losing my humility.

    The near extinction of my film class was wormwood to me, also. I just could not convince the Principal that the class was worthwhile. Mr. Manzo, who had become the Assistant Principal, and who was a student of mine in that same film class back in 1996, finally prevailed upon the Principal to resurrect the class.

    As you can see from this blog, I went out in a blaze of glory, with the very best class I ever had, and I mean best of any kind, not just best film class. Best class I ever had, period. End of story.

    The class was so good, in fact, that I had to leave teaching after it was over. I perfected the craft. There was no way to go but down.

    I hope all is well with you, Megan. Thanks again for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Mr. Bennett, you truly have a deep and continued following as showed by your previous student, who I don't believe I had the pleasure to know but I believe appreciated your craft as much as our class did. I am glad to see students still following this from my class and others who are newcomers who will continue to crave your attention and hang upon your every word.

    Thank you for your compliment and I am glad that you are finally able to realize that you "perfected the craft" of teaching, which you truly did, but it is a shame that we were the last to experience it, although I am glad that I can always say that.

    I didn't have much interest in seeing Amelia, and probably still won't but it is interesting to hear that it was not a terrible film but that it was a good film. I may watch it if I ever I have the chance for the cinematography. The one unfortunate thing about college is that it is very difficult to travel to a movie theater and have the time to see one. I do miss that although I will try my best to see them and also offer some posts from college.

    I regret that I don't have more time to devote to posting on this like I did last year because I could use the excuse that it was for a grade. But it is great to continue to read your insights, and just wanted to say "Hey" again.

    I'll look for another post from you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good blog. So can visit my blog. Thx
    Inteligent PC

    ReplyDelete